L4E Resources and FAQ
What happens if my laptop is lost, stolen, or damaged?
If your laptop is lost, stolen, or damaged, please click here to see how you should proceed.
What are the laptops and accessories being offered in the L4E program?
Device availability is dependent upon existing inventories:
MacBook Air 13" (13-inch / 1.8GHz i5 CPU / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD)
- VGA Adapter
What are the eligibility requirements for a teacher to receive a laptop?
Here are the eligibility requirements for the 2018-2019 school year:
- Full-time (0.5 and above), certificated teacher in grades K-12 taking attendance.
- Full-time (0.5 and above) SPED teachers. SPED teachers at K-5 sites are eligible as well.
- Counselors at middle schools, high schools, and K-8 sites are eligible.
For additional eligibility requirements, please click here.
What if a teacher is leaving their current site for another SFUSD school?
When a laptop is assigned to a teacher they must take the device and the accessories to his or her next SFUSD site.
What if a teacher leaves SFUSD (Retiring, Resigning, or Other)?
If you are permanently leaving the district for whatever the reason, you must return your device. For district departures during the school year, please call Help Desk at 415-241-6476 to set up a time for when you can drop off your device with all accompanying accessories at Help Desk located at 555 Franklin Street, Basement-Room 1 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM (excluding holidays).
For district departures at the end of the school year, the Department of Technology will provide multiple drop-off sites throughout the city. Additional information for end-of-the-year procedures will be communicated closer to that time.
I will be leaving my current SFUSD site, but may continue working for SFUSD at a different site, but a location has not been confirmed.
- A teacher in this situation must send the Department of Technology verification from HR they will be employed with SFUSD for the current or upcoming semester or school year. If a position is not confirmed by June 1st, the laptop must be returned to the Department of Technology.
- If you have a confirmed position, please notify the Department of Technology by sending an email to email@example.com.
- If you cannot provide verification of employment for the following semester, notify the Department of Technology by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a location, time, and date for laptop and accessory return.
- In this instance, we will hold your laptop and once you have a confirmed position assignment, please contact the Department of Technology to pick up your laptop.
I received notification to return my laptop by the end of the school year because I am not assigned to a SFUSD site for the following semester; however, I am teaching summer school at a SFUSD site. May I keep the laptop for summer school use?
- Teachers may continue to use the assigned laptop for their summer school assignment. After the assignment has been completed, and a position is not confirmed for the following semester by the end of their summer school placement, the laptop must be returned to the Department of Technology. If you would like to retain the laptop, please do the following:
- Notify the Department of Technology if you wish to retain the laptop for the summer school placement by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Once you have a confirmed position for the following semester, notify the Department of Technology by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I've recently changed, or will change my job code in the next semester. May I keep my device?
What if a teacher would like to opt out of the L4E program and no longer wants a L4E laptop?
The teacher must notify the Department of Technology by sending an email to email@example.com to schedule a location, time, and date for laptop and accessory return.
Can SFUSD sites reassign laptops?
No. Individuals are assigned to their device, and will be accountable if it is unreturned. If a teacher does not want an assigned L4E laptop, the teacher must notify the Department of Technology at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time and date to return the device and the accessories.
Can I swap my laptop for a different model?
Once an educator chooses a model and receives the device, the device cannot be swapped for a different model.
Can I swap my laptop with another teacher?
No. Individuals are assigned to their device, and will be accountable if it is unreturned. Laptops are assigned to an educator, and must return the device to the Department of Technology if the educator is leaving SFUSD or would like to opt out of the L4E program.
Can anyone else use my machine?
Only the user to whom the device is distributed to can log-in to the device using SFUSD log-in credentials.
I'm going on sabbatical or leave of some sort, but plan on returning to the district. What do I do with my laptop?
If you are temporarily leaving the district on sabbatical, maternity, health, or family leave, or any other type of leave with the intention of returning, you have the option of keeping the device if you will return within the same semester.
If your leave extends beyond the length of a semester, then your device must be returned to the Department of Technology.
Please do not redistribute your device to anyone else on campus because you are accountable for all devices assigned to you.
Please call Help Desk at 415-241-6476 for additional information.
The job code 765 - Teacher Sabbatical Leave is listed as one of the categories of eligibility on the website. Does this mean that I can use my laptop when I go on Sabbatical?
The longer than one semester rule mentioned in the previous question still applies regardless of job code. The 765 - Teacher Sabbatical Leave job code technically means that a person can have an L4E device assigned to them and they are actually eligible, baring in mind that it is possible for a person with that job code to not actually be on Sabbatical or similar leave at any given moment. This would allow a person who has come back from Sabbatical to get a laptop without waiting for their job code to change. However, when an eligible educator takes a leave that is one semester or longer, even with the 765 job code, they must return the device. In conclusion, the longer than one semester time period rule overrides any job code.
FAQs as of 6/12/2019. We will continue to update this document as questions come in.